Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Unsubscribe Experience

Kudos to Groupon for getting their unsubscribe page right even if their practices are too aggressive for my tastes.

Yesterday, I unsubscribed from the Groupon Goods email. It seems like I did that a long time ago and now I get why: I probably unsubscribed from a sub-list. Apparently, Groupon has multiple "lists" that send periodic emails resulting in what I see as a way too frequent "Groupon" communication strategy and a need to unsubscribe multiple times. One email a day is too many for me and having multiple lists, results in multiple emails a day. They wore me out and I finally clicked the unsub. They really should have cut down on their sends by targeting me better and seeing that my lack of engagement needed a different strategy.

Now for the praise. Instead of just unsubscribing me, they have a "switch to weekly" option. Really good option that directly addresses the reason people are dissatisfied.




Their last ditch effort with keeping me is the icing on the cake. With tongue-in-cheek, they introduce me to sad Derrick, the guy who sends the emails and is now upset because I rejected his efforts. If I feel particularly sadistic, I can further punish him by clicking on the button. If you want the spoiler video without having to subscribe, you can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHr8GBqngUQ  Well done, Groupon!



1 comment:

  1. Follow up: Since I've also had to unsub from "Groupon Getaway" emails

    ReplyDelete